As the financial year end approaches, everyone starts with their frantic attempts to complete their tax-saving investments, file returns, etc. One such important task is to verify income tax returns after filing it.
The verification or the ITR-V receipt is a proof provided by the Income Tax Department, that you have successfully filed your income tax returns. One has to physically sign on the verification and send it to CPC Bangalore in order to complete the process. The user can check his ITR-V receipt status online by entering his PAN number, acknowledgement number and financial year. An essential part of the process is to check whether a digital signature has been used for filing returns, without which, user may incur heavy penalties such as additional payment of taxes, refunds loss, etc. Thus, verifying ITR-V receipt status is of paramount importance.
So let us find out in details as to how one verifies ITR-V receipt status after online income tax returns filing. Essentially, there are two ways to verify, one is via web portal and another is, via CPC Bangalore. Before we go through both these methods in details, let us first understand what is CPC.
CPC stands for Central Processing Centre, located in Bangalore, where the signed copy of ITR-verification needs to be sent for completing the entire process.
Electronic Verification Process
- Log in to home page of income tax return by government. From the main menu section, select “E-Verify Return” option.
- To generate OTP (one time password) on the registered mobile number, link your Aadhar card with PAN number.
- People with income more than 5 lakhs, can also select the option of generating EVC (electronic verification code) on their registered mobile number and email ID.
Non-Electronic Verification Process
- The ITR-V received, needs to be checked, physically signed and then sent to CPC on below given address.
Income Tax Department-CPC,
Post Office Electronic City,
Post Box No-1,
- This needs to dispatched in 120 days of filing returns.
Checking ITR-V Receipt Status
If you have opted for the option 1, i.e, sending the acknowledgment to CPC, then tracking the ITR-V receipt status is very important. Only when the Income tax department receives your file in 120 days, that the income tax returns process will be completed. Failure to do so may attract penalties from income tax department. Follow these simple steps to track the ITR-V receipt status online.
- Go to official website of the income tax department of India
- Select ITR-C receipt status option from the menu
- There are two option using which you can track status. Either insert PAN number and assessment year or the acknowledgement number.
- Enter Captcha code, press submit.
- You will be able to view any one of the following five messages, depending on the status of your file.
- No e-Return has been filed for this PAN/Acknowledgement number – If you have dispatched the ITR-V to CPC, then this message generally means that your inputs are incorrect or not matching.
- e-Return for this Assessment Year or Acknowledgment Number has been Digitally Signed – ITRV has been verified using digital signature and there is no need to send signed copy to income tax department.
- ITR-V Received – Your file has been received by the income tax department.
- ITR-V not received– Your file has not yet been received.
- Successfully e-Verified – ITRV has been digitally verified. No need to send signed copy to income tax department.
Check the Intimation Status
- The e-verification is a month long process, after which, the income tax department sends an email to the taxpayer which mentions the details of the tax paid, TDS deductions, other deductions, difference in the tax paid, etc.
- There are two columns to verify the difference between income tax paid and income tax payable. The first column shows the income tax filed in your returns. The other one shows the income tax payable. This difference must be carefully analysed so as to understand the incorrect details provided by you.
- If in case, the tax paid by you is lesser, as computed by income tax department, then the differential amount must also be borne by you.
- In case the taxpayer pays more than the amount computed, then he is entitled for a refund, which can be checked by logging on to Government website using registered account.
In office, we take utmost care to document everything we perform or agree to. In case of income tax filing as well, its documentation is extremely crucial. Below is a list of documents which must be maintained for at least a span of 7-8 years, as your income tax records.
- Filed ITR and ITR-V
- Form 16
- TDS or Form 16A
- Form 12B
- Bank statements
- Tax exemption statements
- Challan copy for tax paid
- Intimation from income tax department
Remember, your income tax filing process is only complete when the CPC acknowledges the receipt of the ITR-V form. Without this final step, a taxpayer may get into trouble regarding tax payment or refunds. Next time, do not forget to track ITR-V receipt status.
LSI Keywords – itr status successfully e-verified, successfully e verified but no refund, income tax status successfully e verified, e filing, return submitted and verified means