There are many reasons why it is a good idea to buy silver bullion. There are different silver investments you can make, you can buy jewellery, silver coins or silver bars. There are definite advantages that are specific to different kind of silver. Generally, there are basic advantages that apply to all types of silver. Jewellery there are labour costs and tax, however silver jewellery you can wear and enjoy unlike silver bullion. Here is some basic reasons why to buy gold bullion.
- First of all, silver in any form is valuable all around the world. It is a liquid investment that you can cash in anytime you need to. There are countless gold dealers in different cities and online.
- Silver is a physical investment, a physical asset that is better than most investments that are normally just numbers on a computer screen. Because it is tangible, it will not disappear because of a system failure or because someone hacked into a system and stole your silver.
- Unlike other commodities that you can invest in like agricultural products or oil, silver does not expire. It remains the same regardless of how long you have had it.
- You don’t really have to contract a third party to see your investment in silver. Third parties can go through some challenges. For instance, a bank can go under and take all your investments with it leaving you with nothing.
- The value of most assets changes drastically over time and for various reasons. The value of silver often rises when most markets decline this is because people regard silver as a hedge investment when the economy is bad. When times are hard people buy silver. This raises the demand for silver. The higher the demand, the higher the value of silver.
- There are few extra costs when it comes to buying or selling most investments like GST and stamp duty. There are a lot of investments that require stamp duty when you go over a certain threshold. When you save money by investing in silver bullion as its exempt from GST and stamp duty.
Advantages that apply specifically to gold coins are:
- Coins have more liquidity than silver bars because they are smaller. For instance, if you had 20 coins, you can sell them off bit by bit. You can sell one, five or ten at a time. If you have a gold bar, you cannot cut it to sell bits of it but you have to sell the entire bar.
- You can buy silver coins over time. You don’t have to buy all the silver in one go. You can buy them when prices are low and easily sell them when an investment opportunity comes around.
- Some silver coins like Britannia coins have a legal currency. The currency denomination might be lower than the actual gold value, but because they are legal tender you pay less capital gains tax on the profit you make when you sell.
- Numismatic coins may not be legal tender but they may be valuable that their weight in gold or silver because of their rarity. The value also increases over time when they are collectable.